This review for the best underwater scooter is by far the most interesting and fun that I have ever done!
There are several brand names manufacturing underwater scooters and up until a few months ago, I had no idea such a “Jaque Custeau” kind of experience could be had by an average person like me. Brands such as Yamaha, Sea-Doo and TUSA are the popular choice for an underwater scooter. More professional models can be bought from manufacturers such as Halcyon and Hollis
How I came to review these cool underwater scooters is a neighbour and friend who wanted to buy one and asked me for my help. His big concern was the 10 times more price for a TUSA made underwater scooter verse the much cheaper $300+ Sea-Doo models. Good question. That’s a BIG price difference. So here goes..
Buying guide for underwater Scooter
- As with any motorised item, the power os such a device is always at the top of the list. For use underwater, in seawater, then next would be durability from material selections that the manufacturer used. After that consideration, all these underwater scooters need a battery to get that motor going. Power, materials, battery. The gadgets might be important also.
- If you think you need a bigger motor because you want to go faster, you may want to think again. faster speeds often make the regulator in your mouth uncomfortable because the speed is trying to pull the mouthpiece out of your mouth. For me, that’s a not a good thing. Your mileage may vary. So think twice about needing a faster Sea-Doo underwater scooter. The extra power is useful at times and the extra power means that a comfortable cruising speed you are not revving up the motor to its top speed. This saves on battery and motor wear.
- More power means a bigger motor, a bigger motor needs a bigger battery. So weight may be important to you. This factor depends on how big and strong you are. Obviously, in the water, they weigh hardly anything at all, but manoeuvring 50 kg in the water versus manoeuvring just 10 kg in the water can be different.
So why buy this underwater scooter? Just for fun, well that is a good reason. However consuming less oxygen, now THIS is a good idea! because not working hard
If you are into underwater photography, videography, and spearfishing then the Tusa Sav-7 Evolution is best suited for those underwater scooter activities.
I never timed the battery running constantly to know if you get a solid 90 minutes as advertised. It lasted for my DPV dives and on a fresh charge, i used it playing in my pool for 3 hours with stop and go usage. So I believe the 90 min usage is pretty close. It did take 7ish hours to recharge after running it all the way down. The double rubber seal is good, i have not had any leaks. I took it to around 80 feet on my dives. It is easy to open and close for battery access. Its built very solid and the housing feels sturdy
- Speed= up to 3 mph/ 4.8 km/h
- Weight= 45 /lbs
- Depth Rating= 230 ft. / tested to 300′
- Run Time= Open Water: 70 – 110 minutes
- Battery Type= Lithium-Ion
- Range= Cruising Range in Open Water: 2.25 – 4.5 miles
- Speed Control: Progressive acceleration system at trigger with use of saddle and 3-speed pitch propeller
- Sensation Current Shut-Down Device, Water Leakage Sensor, and Water-Cooling Motor Deployment.Last update was on: February 25, 2020 11:58 pm
TUSA SAV-7 EVO2 SCOOTER REVIEW BREAKDOWN
With the newly designed rotational speed adjustment function and hands-free riding style, the TUSA SAV-7 EVO2 decreases fatigue, reduces air consumption, and allows a diver to go further and faster in a variety of conditions while extending their time in underwater. The upgraded Variable Speed Control is at your fingertips for a greater diving experience while giving you complete control of speed. Transportation options like the fold-out wings on both sides of the saddle allows additional divers to tag along.
With the newly designed rotational speed adjustment function and hands-free riding style, the TUSA SAV-7 EVO2 decreases fatigue, and allows a diver to go further and faster in a variety of conditions while extending their time underwater. The speed control has a progressive acceleration system which allows for easy control from full speed to no speed. The upgraded Variable Speed Control is at your fingertips for a greater diving experience while giving you complete control of speed.
DEPTH / ENDURANCE:
The EVO sea scooter ha 10% more torque than its predecessor the SAV-7. It has increased usage of 80-minutes run time on the high performance battery. The EVO scooter has an increased cruising range of 12,000′ to 14,000′ feet and a maximum speed of up to 2.6 mph. The scooter is neutrally buoyant with a depth rating of 230′. With transportation options like the fold-out wings on both sides of the saddle allows additional divers to tag along.
Other features include an LED battery indicator that notifies you of the remaining battery life. This is a very nice feature letting you know the remaining battery life. id battery and charger. This underwater scooter is made out of an impressive shock resistant ABS Resin Body
This new underwater vehicle features an innovative and patented Hands-Free Riding Saddle, quick and smooth-responding Variable Speed Control, and a high performance and long-lasting Lithium-Ion Battery with an L.E.D Battery Life Indicator. The saddle wings are a very nice new feature also. The wings make it now possible to pull 2 more divers with the Evolution scooter. The diver’s different physiques when holding onto the wings have virtually no effect to the scooter’s performance. The speed and distance with 3 men diving are almost the same as using the scooter solo without a saddle.
If you are not familiar with this DPV, this is a ‘hands free’ scooter. You navigate it by twisting and arching your body accordingly, leaving your hands free for photographs or check your gauges and computer.
This allows you to be care free under the water as you don’t have to be constantly paranoid that your dive time is running up. This investment is well worth it if you plan on using it a lot as this machine is considered top notch diving equipment. Weighing in at 110 pounds, it is easy to see that this machine did not have any corners cut when it was made. If you buy this machine, it should give you fun for decades. For the serious underwater explorers this is the most reliable diver propulsion vehicle on the market.
TUSA SAV-7 EVO-2 Underwater DPV Sea Scooter Photos
- New improved battery runtime
- High quality built to last many seasons
- Excellent scooter for the serious Scuba Diver.
- Can carry more than one Diver.
- More expensive than most scooters on the market.
- A pretty heavy unit for carrying.